Soak 2 cups black eyed peas for 12 - 24 hours.
1. In a large bowl put 2 cups of dried black eyed peas and cover with 4 - 5 cups of filtered water.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of kefir, whey, raw apple cider vinegar Or lemon juice.
3. After 12 - 24 hours rinse well and begin your gumbo.
20 - 30 minutes
2 cups dried black eyed peas
2 tablespoon of healthy fat of choice - olive oil, ghee, lard, tallow etc.
1/2 onion sliced
2 celery stalks sliced
3 garlic cloves minced
1 24 ounce can high quality peeled whole tomatoes
1 cup homemade meat stock or bone broth
2 teaspoons unrefined salt
1 teaspoon basil
2 teaspoon sage
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 pound country style pork ribs cut into 2 inch pieces
1. Saute onions, celery and garlic for 5 minutes.
2. Add remaining ingredients - tomatoes, meat stock, salt, basil, sage, pepper and pork.
3. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes.
4. Stir occasionally and break up the tomatoes.
5. Serve over rice, quinoa, kasha or cauliflower rice.
Adapted from Kristen's slow cooker recipe